​​​​ School Architect > FAQs
There are no items to show in this view of the "Page Description" list.


Buildings by Construction Dates:

  • Buildings built before 1900
  • Buildings built between 1900 and 1910
  • Buildings built between 1910 and 1920
  • Buildings built between 1920 and 1930
  • Buildings built between 1930 and 1940
  • Buildings built between 1940 and 1950
  • Buildings built between 1950 and 1960
  • Buildings built between 1960 and 1970
  • Buildings built between 1970 and 1980
  • Buildings built between 1980 and 1990
  • Buildings built between 1990 and 2000
  • Buildings built between 2000 and 2010
Pertinent Data11/3/2015 9:47 AM

State Law requires that alterations, additions, renovations, and new construction, regardless of cost, shall utilize an architect.  The system should contact the Alabama Building Commission for proper interpretation of this law as there may be projects that don’t necessarily apply.

Professional Services/Contracts11/3/2015 9:53 AM

Plans for new buildings, additions, and major renovations, regardless of type funding, must be approved by the Alabama State Department of Education and the Alabama Building Commission.

Construction11/3/2015 9:57 AM

​This plan, along with a current Facilities Assessment, is due on September 15th of each year.  Public School Funds (PSF) cannot be released until the Capital Plan has been received.

LEA Assistance11/3/2015 10:01 AM
Pertinent Data11/3/2015 9:49 AM


Professional Services/Contracts11/3/2015 9:54 AM

For projects over $50,000.00, local boards of education are required to advertise three consecutive weeks in a newspaper of local circulation.  Plans and specifications are also sent to various plan services throughout the State.  Construction projects for local boards are not bid at the state level nor does the Alabama State Department of Education maintain a log of projects being bid.

Construction11/3/2015 9:58 AM

​Systems should continuously update their assessments and databases as conditions change or are addressed.  The assessment must remain current.

LEA Assistance11/3/2015 10:01 AM

​1st through 12th Grades………27-30 Square Feet

Kindergarten…………………. 45 Square Feet 

Pertinent Data11/3/2015 9:50 AM

The current edition of the Alabama Building Commission (ABC) uniform documents are used for locally funded projects.  Go to www.bc.state.al.us to access these documents.  There are no Alabama State Department of Education (SDE) forms.

Professional Services/Contracts11/3/2015 9:54 AM

No, declaring an emergency situation is a decision made solely by the local board of education.

Construction11/3/2015 9:59 AM

There should be an opportunity each year to leverage Public School Funds (PSF) to generate funds for capital improvements.

LEA Assistance11/3/2015 10:01 AM

The Alabama Building Commission administers the ongoing projects for the PSCA and maintains a database of expended and unexpended funds.  Only the allotment of funds of specific projects are handled by the Alabama State Department of Education.

Pertinent Data11/3/2015 9:51 AM


Professional Services/Contracts11/3/2015 9:54 AM

​The Act that provides for the leveraging of the PSF requires that the first priority of the usage of funds must be for the elimination of portable and substandard classrooms.

LEA Assistance11/3/2015 10:02 AM

Portables are owned by local boards of education and not the State of Alabama.  Local boards should be contacted as to availability.

LEA Assistance11/3/2015 10:02 AM

Yes, contact Prevention and Support Services at (334) 242-8165.

LEA Assistance11/3/2015 10:03 AM

Interested parties should contact the Facilities Section of the Alabama State Department of Education at (334) 242-9719.

LEA Assistance11/3/2015 10:03 AM